Friday, June 22, 2012

A second job?

I'm sure I've mentioned that DH is out of work.  Has been since December 14th.  He recently had to go to the unemployment office to "reup" for the federal extension of his benefits.  I can't believe he's been out of work for 6 months already.  We have 6 months of benefits left.  And I feel the clock ticking...if the last 6 months have gone by as quickly as they did, I can only imagine how the next 6 will fly by.

Things have been ok for us financially, but that's about to change.  See, the beginning of the year brings tax refunds and bonuses.  Which were used to help pay the expenses.  That money is pretty much gone now...along with what little savings we had.  Things are about to become tighter than we'd like. Don't get me wrong, we don't buy frivulously...the playset and pool for Lexi were thouroughly researched.  The playset was a steal find on Craigslist...and the pool...well, we were planning on putting her in swim lessons.  It was budgeted for.  Once a week for 8 weeks...the cost was $65.  $65 for 360 minutes of swim time.  The pool cost us $150...well about $250 once you add in chemicals and hoses and other necessary items to keep said pool clean and bacteria free.  $250 for unlimited pool enjoyment.  $185 more than we planned to spend.  But we knew it was a better "spend" in the long run than the lessons that were really glorified play time.  Plus DH and I could enjoy it as well.

Anyway, back on track...things are about to become much tighter.  On a whim, I applied online on Wednesday to the red bullet store.  They called me yesterday.  I called back this morning and they want to setup an interview with me.

I don't know yet how I really feel about working a full time job, and a part time job together, while DH doesn't work.  He IS trying.  He's had a few possibilities...but they are either full time jobs making way less than he is getting in unemployment (which means we wouldn't make ends meet) or they are part time positions making just over the minimum amount allowed by unemployment to keep his benefits.    I work my full time job until 4:30 or 5ish from home.  I put on the application that I could work 6-10pm on weeknights and anytime on weekends, but that I was looking for only about 15-20 hours a week.  I want what is best for our family.  The extra money would help...as would the associate discount!  But I'm conflicted.  Thoughts?

5 comments:

Tina said...

Just keep in mind that you taking a second job is only temporary. Yes, it's going to be hard and tiring, but you need to do what's best for your family. That, at the moment, means you working a second job.

Good luck to you and your family. It's scary out there!

Erin said...

It depends on what the extra money will be used for. If you are talking about needing money for groceries and house note then you do it of course. But I would rather time with my family and go without cable and movies and other extras. You may find yourself resenting DH if you are not getting any time for yourself and your family.

Anonymous said...

I did it before becoming a Momma...I think if you find a second job doing something you enjoy--mine for example was working in a craft store that it makes it more bearable.

I know many will frown on this suggestion but Lexi is still young enough for WIC-apply and see you qualify. Also same goes for food stamps, LIHEAP and the like. It won't take the entire burden off, but it will help some.

Hugs!

Once Upon A Time said...

Good luck on the job situation. I hope something great comes along before the 6 months passes.

The amusement park I referred to in my post is Bay Beach in Green Bay. So if you are in IL, that might be quite a drive for you. Most rides are 25-50 cents per person, so for our whole family to ride, 1-2 dollars.

Anonymous said...

EEK. That's a tough decision, but if your family needs it, then you gotta do what you gotta do. I know it's different that you work from home so you get more time with Lexi during the week than I do, but I couldn't give up my Miles time after work to go back to work.

Let us know how it works out.

Oh but the discount may make everything better, right?