Sunday, May 31, 2009

Thrush

She's got it...and got it bad. Lexi's little mouth is covered in white yeast. Last week, we noticed some white spots on her tongue and assumed it was milk deposits, as they seemed to lessen when we gave her a few sips of water. However, this last ThursdayI noticed it on the inside of her cheeks. Called the ped and they called in a prescription for her. I've been giving her the meds as prescribed, but the yeast seems to be getting worse, not better. It's on the roof of her mouth, her cheeks, her tongue...uugghh. I know it's going to take a few days for the meds to kick in, but how long? She also spits some of it back out, so I'm worried she's not getting the full effect of the medicine.

I'm also worried a little about the amount of formula she drinks in one feeding. We're lucky we can get 2 ounces into her at a time, 3 ozs is rare, with most feedings being an ounce and a half. As a result, we're still feeding her every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. We can go 3 hours at night most nights. She's gained weight...weighing about 9lbs now (I weigh myself and then weigh again holding her) so she's up 3lbs from her birth weight. How much did your 7 week old take in a feeding if you formula fed?

These are all questions I have to ask her ped...but another mother's experience is just as valuable to me.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Hey, you don't know me, but I somehow found your blog! I have a 7 week old as well. She was only 4.14 at birth (she had IUGR), and at this point is eating around 4 ounces every 3-4 hours. Sometimes she wants less than that and sometimes she wants more. She will sometimes go 5 hours at night, but that is a rare blessing! Anyways, I know how invaluable it is to hear from another mom (espectially one with a baby the same age!)

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog too as we had the same due date. My twins were also born 4 weeks early so are now 7 weeks as well. They were each about 5.5 pounds at birth. They now eat about 4 ounces every 3-4 hours as well. Maybe the trush is making Lexi's mouth sore?

AwkwardMoments said...

i am very sorry. Hoping you get your answers soon

KimboSue said...

ICK! No formula feeding for Mr. Miles but I am thinking about you and Lex!

Jen said...

I bet the thrush is just making her mouth sore.

However, Olivia is 15 (!) weeks old, and she only eats 3-4 ounces at a time, every 3-4 hours. Some babies eat less, and as long as they are gaining and growing, it's nothing to be worried about.

Anonymous said...

Have you looked into Gentian Violet? I know many mames who dealt with thrush had GREAT results from using this (thought it stains things!). Hope it goes away fast!!