Friday, May 22, 2009

6 weeks

6 weeks past, and 6 more to go...until I return to work. Today marks the half way point in my maternity leave. It's hard to believe that 6 weeks has past already.

Lexi is getting bigger everyday it seems. Yesterday was a hard day. All she wanted was to be held and fed. She would only take 15 - 30 minute cat naps and then want to eat again. I hope this is a growth spurt and not evidence of a new habit of hers. The plus? She slept from 9:15 last night until 1:15. 4 hours straight! That is a big milestone for her. She's been on a 2 hour schedule, and is like a little alarm clock. We've tried to get her to go longer, but she won't eat more than about 2 - 2 1/2 ozs at a time...she'll spit it out.

She also seems to have alot of trouble moving her bowels. She strains and grunts and cries...but her poop isn't hard, so I'm not sure why it's so hard for her to pass it. The ped had told me that it's probably just that she hasn't learned yet how to effectively use the muscles to pass the poop...but wouldn't she have learned that by now? It's so hard to watch her struggle to poop, and then have either nothing come out, or see that it's soft and wonder why it was so difficult for her.

Other than the poop issue, Lexi is a happy, content baby. We're very fortunate.

3 comments:

When Two Becomes Five said...

I don't know if I've posted before or not but if she's formula fed babies can do that. My first two were formula fed and our first had those problems but the poop was soft. If she's breastfed then I've heard that babies can go a day or more without poops but I don't know about consistency. Could be something you're eating if she's being breastfed. Our little one right now is breastfed and he poops like crazy but can get really gassy and burp a lot. Every baby is different. Good luck!

HereWeGoAJen said...

We went through the eat/hold stages too. They pass. :)

Kate said...

I read something once about how some babies have a hard time with the timing of pooping, if that makes sense. It's a physical coordination issue that your body has to actually learn. I know that sounds weird, but there is a medical term for it. They grow out of it, though. Glad to hear that everything is going well!