Monday, June 7, 2010

Nights 2 and 3

Saturday was night 2 of tough love. I was really hoping for a repeat of the night before...but of course, that didn't happen. I put Lexi down at 7pm (she was SO tired) and she woke for the first time at 10:15pm. She cried for about 4 minutes...then silence. Until 30 minutes later when she cried again for about 3 or 4 minutes. Rinse and Repeat until 3am! Every 20 or 30 minutes she was screaming for 3 or 4 minutes...O.M.G. I wanted SO badly to give in, give her a bottle, and GET SOME SLEEP! But I didn't. DH was SO close as well...but we managed to make it through the night...and we all slept in until 9:30am on Sunday!

My mom said she was testing us...to see if we would give in. Kinda like you see the kids on Super.nanny doing. But OMG, I SO wanted too. If I wasn't all warm and comfy in my bed, I may have been MORE tempted to give her a bottle.

Yesterday, like I said, we slept in until 9:30 and left the house at noon to go to a friend's. Lexi slept the hour drive in the car and had another 15 minute snoozer at around 5pm. When we got home at 7, she was still raring to go so we decided to keep her up as long as she was happy. Bedtime was 8:45pm...she woke once at 9:15 and whined for about a minute...but then SLEPT UNTIL 5AM! Yes, you read that correctly. I'm not sure if she "got it" with the tough love or she was just exhausted from the day. Either way I was SO happy to have 7 hours of sleep. We'll see over the next few nights if she really "gets" it.

Sorry this post is so mundane...but I want to capture her sleep patterns.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Our pediatrician follows the same 'tough love' principles. It has all worked so far but I'm with you - it is H.A.R.D.

Kudos to you for sticking with it. No one understands just how hard it is to listen to your baby scream like that and not go comfort them.

Our pedi has said the same things about food. Toddlers can't control what they eat or when, just how much. So they exert as much control in that area as possible. He says he hasn't had a toddler die of starvation yet.

Once again, easy to say when you're not the mother listening to them scream!

Denise said...

You guys are doing great. It is SO hard to listen to your baby cry. It seems strange, but they definitely do test us even at this early age. They learn quickly how far they can push.