Sunday, January 9, 2011

Still waiting

We are still waiting for a speech therapist to be assigned to Lexi. Thursday will be 6 weeks since her initial evaluation. I did get a call from our coordinator the last week of December saying there was a therapist, but she could only come at 8:15am on Wednesdays. That didn't work for us. Lexi isn't up most days until almost 8am and waking her up for this would be counter productive. She'd be cranky that we woke her and nothing would be accomplished. So we're back in the system. Waiting.

I hate that I don't know when her therapy will be. I can't sign her up for any of her "fun" classes at the park district because what if it coincides with when a therapist can come? I don't want to pay $65 for a class she can't take!

Hey s.e....want to be Lexi's therapist? I'm kidding of course (only slightly). But I'm so frustrated with the "system".

P.S. I'm writing this on the 10th, but posting it for the 9th so I can post Lexi's 21 month letter later.

2 comments:

s.e. said...

Oh, Amy. Would that not be wonderful? I used to do private services in the summer but I have not worked with the 0-3 population ever. So, it may be worth waiting.

The world of EI sucks right now. There are so few therapists out there and they get stretched pretty thin. Have you thought about checking with your local hospital and seeing if insurance will cover it? My kiddos did not qualify for services through the state but were given many, many sessions through my husbands insurance. They have been going to PT for over a year and we haven't maxed out our sessions yet. Just a thought.

Erin said...

I was going to suggest the hospital as well. As someone who worked in the system with kids with special needs I know how things get lost, shuffled, extended, etc. They are stretched thin, but Lexi deserves services. EARLY intervention is key.

Quite often if a doctor prescribes the therapy you can go the private route and have it covered by insurance. Get a hold of the evaluation and go in to see your doctor!