Monday, June 28, 2010

Cutie Poops and Bottoms

Isn't that a cute name for a cloth diaper store? I thought so...we went there on Saturday to explore the world of cloth diapers.

Lexi has been wearing a hybrid diaper for about a month now (G Diapers with the flushable insert) and I really like them. I have 4 covers and that seems to be plenty...unfortunately 3 are pink and 1 orange...they don't have much of a color selection. But I digress...we went to the aforementioned store to see about other possibilities. I know I could have ordered them online, but I need to SEE them and SEE how they fit/fold etc. I ended up with some prefold diapers, a Thirsties diaper cover, a Thirsties pocket diaper, and a Fuzzi Bums (I think) all in one. The nice thing is that the prefolds will also fit into the G Diaper covers I already have.

Lexi doesn't seem to notice the difference. Why did we make the switch now, you might be asking yourself, after 15 months of disposables? Well, aside from the obvious economic and environmental savings, it's to help potty train her. She will feel the wetness in the cloth diapers.

Yes, we are starting what I like to call "pre-potty training". Lexi has a potty chair in our bathroom, and when we go, she goes. By that I mean, she will walk into the bathroom, lift the lid on her potty and sit down. She watches us and we tell her we're making "pee pee" or "poo poo". If you tell her to go potty, she will go into the bathroom and sit on her potty. She is also becoming aware that things "come out" of her body. We have had her skinny dipping in her pool recently and when she pees, she knows it.

I have no fantasies that she will be potty trained by 18 months, but I'm doing what I can to get her used to the terms, the potty etc. If it turns out that she takes to it, awesome. If not, that's fine too. She'll do things at her own pace.

****************************************

In other news, we went to a village "fair" over the weekend and Lexi got to ride the Merry Go Round and train. She was NOT happy with the up and down of the horses on the Merry Go Round...but seemed to enjoy the train ride. We didn't stay very long as it was hot and humid...seriously can it PLEASE STOP RAINING!

5 comments:

Jamie said...

I think you are doing the right thing! Allowing her to notice it and understand it seems to be the obvious first step. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

What a big girl!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I found your post when I was googling Cutie Poops and Bottoms. Great store, I have been there too. I really liked all the choices and the ladies were sooooo helpful! We have been using cloth now for about a month and love love love it! I wish more people would look into this cost friendly and earth friendly option.

Good luck with your potty training!
Alicia

Photogrl said...

I think you're doing the right thing with letting her feel when she's wet. That was the only thing that worked with Miss O., years ago.

Good luck with the potty training!