Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Another "first"

Although this first I wish never happened. First, I'll say that everyone is ok...no injuries.

We were involved in a 3 car collision last night. 2 of the cars were ours. However, we were found to NOT be at fault. Basically, I was driving with Lexi, there was a Toyota behind me, and my husband was behind that car. I slowed down to stop for a red light. The Toyota didn't. The worst part was I saw it coming. I knew she was going to hit me. And there was nothing I could do about it but hope it wouldn't be too bad. I saw the other driver's face when she looked up from whatever it was she was doing and realized she was going to hit me. It all only lasted a few seconds, but it seemed like forever. She hit me doing about 25 or 30. Enough to totally smash the front end of her car. My husband was then unable to stop in time to avoid hitting her...which caused her car to lurch forward and hit me again. We felt both impacts.

Lexi was screaming in the back seat...more terrified than hurt - I would find out after the paramedics checked her over. The other driver was found to be at fault for "both" accidents. No tickets were issued, because technically my DH was following her too close. The cop didn't ticket him or the other driver...but listed her as the at fault driver on the report.

So now the fun begins...getting both cars fixed...and a new car seat. Since Lexi's has been involved in a collision, we were advised by the cop to get a new one, and to make her insurance pay for it.

5 comments:

kimbosue said...

YIKES! Glad nobody was hurt, nobody got a ticket, and it wasn't yall's fault!

Big hugs to get you through the car repair time. UGH.

Mazzy said...

I am SO GLAD you guys are ok. This is so scary! And it happens all the time. Is Lexi still in a rear facing seat? I am a total nerd, but I have keep L in a rear facing, even though they say you can turn them around at a year. If you do some research, you'll find that babies are 5 times safer rear facing than forward and they can stay in the rear facing until the seat weight/height limits, which is often closer to ages 2-3 for most babies!

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

Wow, that's not a first you want to have happen. So glad you all are okay and not at fault.

That's awful that it was both of your cars! Ugh.

Hope the car shopping goes quickly and you get something you like.

Photogrl said...

Oh, no!

That had to be SO scary!

I'm so glad to hear that everyone is okay...

((HUGS))

Shelli said...

so scary... I am glad you are all okay!

I had the exact same scenario happen to me when D. was a toddler. Rear-ended by a person not paying attention at a red light.