Monday, March 1, 2010

Temper, temper

DH and I got our first look at Lexi's temper this past weekend.  Let me preface this by saying that Lexi is a good natured kid.  She doesn't cry or fuss often and when she does, it's usually because something is wrong, ie...she doesn't feel good, is overtired etc.  Well, the overtiredness played a small role in her display of her temper yesterday.  She had her morning nap...about 2 hours...waking at about 11:15am.  DH and I went to a friend's house to watch the USA v. Canada gold metal hockey game after she got up.  Well, she wouldn't nap at our friend's house.  There was too much going on and being in a strange place, she just didn't want to sleep.  But still, she was good natured.  Only slightly fussy.  We left around 4pm and Lexi was in her crib asleep by 4:15.  She slept until 5:30.  I thought that would have been enough of a nap...apparently, it wasn't. 

DH gives Lexi our remote control to play with on occassion...after removing the batteries.  Well, yesterday, she took it off the table to play with it.  DH took it away from her to remove the batteries...and that's when we got a glimpse of the temper.  Lexi proceeded to flop down on her butt from a kneeling position and started kicking her legs and "yelling".  I won't say crying, because there were no tears.  This was more of a scream/yell.  She did this until DH gave her the remote back.  Then all was peaceful.

I thought about telling DH that he shouldn't have given her the remote at that point, since it was rewarding her behavior, but I think he was as shocked as I was that she did what she did, that he didn't even think about it. 

I hope this doesn't become a regular thing for her.  She's never minded when we've taken something away from her...she usually moves on to something else. 

Any suggestions out there for how to handle this should it occur again?  Who am I kidding, I know it will happen again, it's just a matter of when?!

2 comments:

kimbosue said...

YIKES! No advice here...

LJ said...

All I know is V does the SAME thing. I'm hoping it's a stage?