Tuesday, March 2, 2010

These are a few of my favorite things...

I've been meaning to do a post about my favorite things that I use daily for Lexi...as in meaning to do it for the last 6 months.  I have a small list of things that I liked and disliked over the last 10.5 months.  So I guess I'll start at the beginning with 2 products.  One that I wanted to love, but didn't love me; and the other that we still use every single day.

When Lexi first came home from the hospital, I had planned on breastfeeding exclusively.  Well, that tanked because she came so early, but we still gave breastfeeding the ole college try.  In preparation for the hours I would spend with her attached to my breast, we purchased a My Breast Friend nursing pillow:


Now, I've not been shy about saying I'm a plus sized momma...while I really thought the concept of this pillow is awesome (allowing mom to move around while baby is nursing, providing almost "hands free" nursing etc), it didn't fit me.  Literally.  I could not get the pillow to comfortably fit around me without feeling like I had a too small ring around my waist.  I tried adjusting it and just couldn't get a comfortable fit.  I was very disappointed to not be able to use it.  I found a regular old pillow from our bed worked to support her, but didn't give me the freedom to really move around. 

Since breastfeeding didn't really work out for me, bottles were, are still are, important to me.  We originally thought we wanted glass bottles...but found that they were heavy to hold, especially at 3am when we were nodding off while feeding her.  Lexi also had issues with reflux, so we didn't want her swallowing more air than she needed to be.  We tried numerous bottles, from Dr Brown's to Avent before finally settling on the Platex Ventaire



I loved the curved design of the bottle as well as the venting system, which helps prevent air from mixing in with the milk.  We could actually hear the air escaping from the bottom of the bottle as she drank.  I also liked that they are super easy to clean, and that they are easy to assemble.  I had a problem figuring out the Dr Browns, but these were a snap.  The downfall?  The markings on the outside of the bottles (for the ozs) faded over time with each washing.  We had to take a permanent marker and mark the outside so we would know where the oz markings were.  Now that Lexi is older, she has a very easy time holding these as well.

I have some more favorite things...but I have to save them for another post.  I actually should do some work now!

I should state that I am putting this information out there because it might be useful to someone, NOT because the manufacturer sent me anything or asked me to.

No comments: