Tuesday, October 21, 2008

11w6d

Tomorrow is my 32nd birthday. I will also be 12w tomorrow and have my 12w OB appointment. I can't think of a better birthday present than to see Lucky again.

I've been a bad blogger. This I know. I just have so many things going through my head that it's hard to pull them altogether in a cohesive thought pattern. DH and I picked up my crib from my parents house this past weekend. My parents kept the bedroom set that they used for me as a child and have graciously offered it to us. The set is in great condition, it's a beautiful wood...almost looks like cognac, but a little lighter. The crib itself is also in great condition...needs to be cleaned and polished from years of storage, but other than that, there is nothing wrong with it. I measured the distance between the slats, and it meets all the safety requirements today's cribs do. But I'm at a crossroads. Part of me would LOVE to purchase a new set for this baby. But to be honest, right now, DH and I can't afford to drop $3000 on furniture...especially when there are so many other things we KNOW we're going to need to get. I almost feel like by using my parent's set that I'm "cheating" my baby out of something. Weird huh? I know the baby won't know the difference, but I will. I guess I'm just having a hard time accepting the set as a gift. What would you do?

6 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

Happy birthday! That is a terrific birthday present!

I think I would take the furniture. I think it is nice that your baby could use the same crib that you did. But then splurge on an extra good bedding set for the fun new stuff. (Matt and I found a bedding set for $1200. No, really. It was pink silk. Obviously, we laughed really hard and didn't buy it.)

AwkwardMoments said...

A Very Happy birthday to you!

lovesbabyhopes said...

Congrats--I need the hope!

Thanks so much for the support!!!!

Amy Love

Denise said...

I agree with Jen on using the set and then buying really nice bedding!

Happy birthday tomorrow. Can't wait to read about your appointment!

Mel said...

Happy Birthday, Amy! And I agree...that's the most AWESOMEST gift ever! :) Thank you SO much for the input about progesterone levels...you've put my mind at ease!

And because I haven't officially said it yet, CONGRATS! I'm beyond excited for you. Almost to the second tri already?! Amazing.

Anonymous said...

First happy belated birthday. I seem to be a day late on these things lately.

Secondly, I am a LOVER of nostalgia, and things that parents kept. Had we had Aaron and been offered what can become a family heirloom I would have swooped it up in a heart beat! You can buy all new bedding, and paint the room, and give him/her all new clothes. HE/She isn't being cheated out of anything so long as he/she has two parents who love the daylights out of him/her and who remembered to measure the slats first :)