Thursday, December 15, 2011

Whirlwind of emotions

OMG this week has just been a whirlwind.  If you recall, our IVF cycle was cancelled back in November because my TSH levels were crazy high...and I went on Dec 1st for repeat bloodwork.  TSH came back at 2.3, not below the 2 the RE wanted.  HOWEVER, the nurse had told me to get a letter from my Endo stating I was under her care and that she was comfortable with us proceeding and the nurse would see if the RE would sign off on a January cycle. 

I found out on Monday that he DID sign off on it.  So we were a go for an IVF in January...our insurance would lapse on 2/29/12 and we'd be done well before then.  Things were looking up. 

Then, yesterday DH lost his job.  His job that carried the insurance for the IVF.  So on top of the financial strain of losing his income, we were faced with not being able to do the IVF again because the insurance will now lapse at the end of this month. 

Then I think...HELLO!  COBRA!  Yes, the premiums would be astronomical, but it's still less expensive than paying for a cycle out of pocket.  And we'd only need it for January...to cover the ER and ET.  Everything else I can send through our other insurance carrier. 

But then I started thinking last night...maybe this was God's way of telling us we aren't supposed to cycle...I mean, it was cancelled...then he loses his job.  And what responsible people try to bring another child into the world when their own financial future is uncertain?  But then I think that we may not have another chance at this.  Even if he got another job tomorrow...there is no guarantee they will offer IVF coverage.  MY job doesn't.  That's why we took the 2nd policy through his job.  I want to move forward.  I really, really do.  My heart is saying YES YES YES...but the logical part of my mind is saying...THINK THIS THROUGH!

What would you do?

Oh...and my schedule for the IVF is:

Begin Lupron 12/27/11
Last active bcp 12/31/11
Baseline U/S 1/11/12
Start Stims 1/13/12
ER & ET week of 1/23/12

5 comments:

Tati said...

First off, I am so very sorry for the job loss. I can not even begin to imagine the stress and upset that is causing.

I think you are smart in thinking the whole IVF through before making a major decision. You don't want to put out money and then regret it in a few months when you need money for something else....that being said, if the IVF cycle ended with a baby, well, then there would be no regrets and it will be worth it....

I can't tell you one way or other which is best...but make sure to keep open communication with your hubby. I always say that you should lead with your head, and end with your heart. Do what's best for the 3 of you and everything else will work out.

xoxo

juliane2004 said...

I personally would do it. I think things would work out and that there's never a perfect time.

~Jess said...

I'm sorry about his job. If it were us we would go forward with the IVF.....good luck making a decision.

Erin said...

Do it. You might regret not doing it but cannot see regretting doing it.

raisingmiles said...

I'm sorry about the job. The timing sucks major donkey balls.

If it were me, I think we would go ahead with the treatment as well.